Ready to start learning? When you register, you will have 60 days to experience your content when it's convenient for you! Look for your access link in your registration receipt, on your MyNAFSA page, or by going directly to the learning portal.
For details on registering and accessing, review the FAQ page.
This self-guided e-Learning course will take participants beyond the basics to improve advising strategies for F-1 students seeking employment and training benefits. Through a series of employment and training scenarios, participants will dive into the gray areas where answers require in-depth understanding of regulations and agency guidance, clear institutional policy, and an individualized advising approach that considers all the options.
This is an intermediate-level course. In order to successfully apply the complex skills that are covered, participants must have some prior advising experience or formal training. The content builds on the foundational competence that is gained from completing the “F-1 Advising: Getting Started” e-Learning course, the “F-1 Beginners” Core Education Program Workshop, or formal on-the-job training.
- Consider institutional interpretations and application of employment regulations.
- Advise students about eligibility and long-term impact of different employment options.
- Perform administrative tasks to support students to engage in authorized practical training and employment.
- Stay informed of agency guidance impacting the application of employment regulations.
Special bonus: Participants will receive access to the NAFSA Adviser's Manual 360 for the duration of the course.
In each module, you will complete approximately one-two hours of interactive content. This course is divided into 3 modules. Each module will correspond to a section of the workbook and a discussion forum. You will also be asked to complete a final assessment at the end of the course.
- Duration of Access: 60 days from the date of registration. Note that extensions are rarely granted, so please ensure you have access to your content.
- Effort: 30-60 minutes per module. It will take longer depending on how much effort you put into the exercises.
- Level: Intermediate
- Course Type: 100% Online (Start on the date you register and work at your own pace for 60 days)
This class requires a small amount of reading, a series of interactive modules, discussion posts, and a final assessment. To complete the course you should:
- Go through the interactive module
- Take notes and fill out your workbook
- Respond to the discussion prompts in the forum
- Explore any of the supplemental readings that interest you
- Take the final assessment
- Mini-Quizzes throughout the modules are meant to guide learning and are not counted towards completion of the course.
- The workbook is for your own benefit, and will not be counted towards completion of the course. Please take detailed notes to refer back to in the future after you complete this course.
- The final assessment is comprised of content-related questions. Submitting the final quiz is a required element of the course in order to receive your Certificate of Participation.