As a seasoned F-1 Adviser, you have learned that most student advising cases are not as straight forward as they initially seem. This workshop allows you to walk through nuanced situations and learn how to integrate federal regulations with your campus’ own rules to build sound institutional policies that create accurate and consistent advising. Take a deeper dive into student advising through case studies and learn model practices so you can apply them to your own campus.
- Be a self-sufficient adviser by knowing your resources.
- Develop interpretations of F-1 regulations and guidance.
- Interpret and develop institutional policy.
- Learn techniques to advise F-1 students on situations where clear guidance is not available.
- P/DSO responsibilities
- Maintenance of status
- F-2 dependents
- On-campus employment
- Curricular Practical Training
- Optional Practical Training
- Change of status
What Participants Are Saying
- "I'm a First timer. It was great to chat with other institutions about regulation interpretations and then hear from the experts on their institutions' best practices. Although a lot of areas are gray, I feel more confident in understanding the places to go for help and guidance." - Regional Conference participant
- "I have been working with international students for about 3 years and I felt pretty confident with policies at my institution as well as providing I-20's, however, this really opened my eyes to a lot more that goes with being an international advisor!" - Annual Conference participant
- "We discussed issues I deal with in more depth and I learned about some regulations I was not previously aware of. Many of the situations we discussed in the workshop were open to interpretation and I liked that the workshop was organized so that we had the opportunity to collaborate with partners on how we would advise in particular situations, allowing me to hear multiple perspectives." - Regional Conference workshop participant
- "The information provided was extremely relevant to my everyday work. Being able to ask the presenters questions on rare or unusual student cases was wonderful." - On-site participant
Designated School Officials with at least 15 months experience, who have participated in the F-1 Student Advising for Beginners Workshop, or have received training equivalent to F-1 Student Advising for Beginners.