If you are engaged in international education, exchange, or global workforce development your NAFSA membership gives you access to almost 10,000 other international educators, as well as professional information including International Educator magazine, NAFSA.news, best practices and trends, special member-only rates on the NAFSA products, and professional development opportunities you need to excel in your career.
Any individual, who is interested in NAFSA's mission and wants to engage with a community of leaders in the field of international education, is encouraged to join the association.
- Academic Institution: An individual working for a school, college, university, law firm, and/or training, medical, or research center, or
- Individual Member: An individual involved personally or professionally in the field of international education and exchange, or
- International Education Organization: An individual representative of an organization, association, nonprofit, or business involved in implementing, supporting, or administering international education and exchange
- An individual who is fully retired, or
- A full-time student enrolled in a post-secondary institution, or
- A community volunteer who does not receive remuneration for the work you do related to international education
To apply for an Associate Membership, you must submit your membership application by email membership[at]nafsa.org along with verification of your status.
- If you are retired, submit a letter that states you have retired.
- If you are a student, submit evidence of full-time enrollment.
- If you are a community volunteer, submit a letter from the organization with whom you volunteer that confirms you are not receiving any remuneration for the work you are doing for the organization.
Associate Members are required to resubmit documentation annually before they are able to renew their membership at the associate rate. NAFSA will make the final determination on associate member qualifications.
You can apply for membership online or by completing the membership application and returning it with payment by fax or mail. If you need assistance applying for membership, contact our offices at 1.202.737.3699 or send an e-mail to membership[at]nafsa.org.
Dues must be paid in full at the time a member joins or renews membership. Please see question, What types of membership are offered? for additional information on each category.
- Individual Member - $459
- Member at Academic Institution - $459
- Member at International Education Organization - $459
Associate Member Categories*
- Retired Member - $153
- Student Member (full-time students only) - $153
- Community Volunteer - $153
A $20 processing fee is applied for first-time members and former members that have been expired for more than a year.
A $70 overseas airmail fee is applied for individuals residing outside the United States, Mexico or Canada without an APO/AFO mailing address.
*For retired, student, or community volunteer memberships, please email membership[at]NAFSA.org for assistance and to submit verification of eligibility.
NAFSA accepts all major credit/debit cards, checks and wire transfers. For your security, NAFSA does not accept credit card information over the phone or by email.
Credit/debit card payments are processed online at www.nafsa.org/renew or by submitting via secure fax to (202) 737-3657.
Credit/debit card or check payments may also be mailed with your application or invoice to:
NAFSA Membership Department
P.O. Box 79159
Baltimore, MD 21279-0159
For Wire Transfer information, please contact us at membership[at]nafsa.org for instructions and details.
Visit NAFSA Shop to complete your purchase. If you want to pay by fax or by mail, contact us at membership[at]nafsa.org for an invoice.
Please note that the date of purchase for your membership does not change the date of expiration. The NAFSA membership term is from July 1 to June 30. To take full advantage of the membership year, we advise NAFSA members to apply for or renew their membership before July.
NAFSA's membership year runs from July 1 to June 30 of the following year. Please note that the date of purchase for your membership does not change the date of expiration. To take full advantage of the membership year, we advise NAFSA members to apply for or renew their membership before it expires on June 30.
Once your membership expires on June 30, you will receive a 60-day grace period to pay your dues or you will lose access to your benefits.
You are the member and each member has a unique NAFSA ID number. Your NAFSA ID number will always be yours. If you've created a NAFSA profile without purchasing a membership, that profile ID number will become your membership ID number when you purchase your membership.
NAFSA does not offer institutional memberships, however, most NAFSA memberships are paid through institutions. An institution that has paid for a membership "owns" the membership and may transfer a current membership to another person at that institution if you leave, for example.
Creating a profile is easy and takes only a few minutes. Visit the Create Your NAFSA Account page.
NAFSA membership provides unmatched access to best-in-class programs, information, and resources.
NAFSA members receive significant discounts on all NAFSA products, services, and events. Members receive a significant discount on registration to attend the NAFSA Annual Conference & Expo, the largest conference within the international education field.
Visit the Membership page to review the full list of benefits and explore the Member Savings Opportunities today.
Membership benefits are tied to a specific individual membership ID. Only that individual will receive membership benefits and discounts on materials, conferences and events. Membership cannot be shared.
Updating your profile and communications preferences is the best way to ensure you receive the NAFSA information you want in the way you want it. NAFSA offers you an easy way to manage your profile by logging on to the My NAFSA Profile to make edits. If you encounter any issues, please email membership[at]nafsa.org
You may retrieve your login credentials here. Simply enter the email address associated with your My NAFSA account. An email allowing you to reset your password or recover your username will be sent to that email address. If you do not receive the link to reset or recover your password, please be sure to check your SPAM filters. For security reasons, we cannot give anyone access to another individual's account. NAFSA protects the privacy of each account holder and is committed to building user trust and confidence by promoting, and complying with, business practices that help protect your privacy. Please contact membership[at]nafsa.org if you have further questions.
Yes, a current membership can be transferred as along as it meets our transfer guidelines. NAFSA membership and benefits cannot be shared or temporarily transferred to another individual. Please allow 3-5 business days for the transfer request to be completed. Send your request to membership[at]nafsa.org with the following information:
- State the reason for requesting the membership transfer, and
- Provide the name, title, institution, NAFSA ID number and email address of both individuals, and
- Specify which person will receive the membership.
Each NAFSA member is permanently assigned a unique NAFSA ID number that cannot be reassigned to another individual.
- If the person receiving the membership has never been a NAFSA member, they can create a profile and be assigned a NAFSA ID.
- If the person receiving the membership was previously a NAFSA member, they already have a NAFSA ID, please contact membership[at]nafsa.org for assistance.
July 1 through the end of February
- The employer can request to permanently transfer a membership to a non-member individual who works at the same institution
- The transferred membership will only last the remainder of that membership year.
March 1 through May 31
- Membership may not be transferred except in cases where the individual holding the membership is no longer employed by the institution or organization.
- NAFSA memberships are due for renewal in June and cannot be transferred.
- Employers are encouraged to purchase a new annual NAFSA membership for their employee.
Members may publicize their membership, provided they make clear that they as an individual are a member, and not their organizations. Members may not imply that NAFSA has reviewed or endorsed their programs or activities, or that NAFSA membership confers any endorsement.
Use of the NAFSA logo is prohibited. Institutions who wish to engage with the association can become Global Partners. NAFSA Global Partners are provided with a special logo indicating their participation in the Global Partnership Program.
Yes! Please identify one person to be the Group Bill Manager for all your institution's memberships. Contact us at membership[at]nafsa.org for instructions on creating a group bill account.
All universities, corporations, and businesses who share NAFSA's mission and would like to have access to unique discounted marketing opportunities are invited to join NAFSA's Global Partnership Program. Your organization will be listed as a current Global Partner and receive discounts including associated individual memberships. In addition, staff within your organization can still hold individual NAFSA memberships.
By joining NAFSA's incredibly vibrant and welcoming community, you can connect, communicate, and collaborate online through Network.NAFSA.
NAFSA Members can view the Member Directory. Click the "Directory" link found in the main navigation bar. The Directory lets you search for other members based on:
- First and/or last name
- Company/Institution name
- Email address
Switch to the "Advanced Search" tab to increase your search to:
Non-members can view our Mailing List Rentals to learn more about the easiest and best way to reach NAFSA's members.
Privacy settings can be adjusted by logging into your My NAFSA and then visiting Network.NAFSA. Go to "My Profile" and click on the "Settings" tab. Choose "Privacy" from the drop-down menu. This will let you control what information is visible to whom. After you've made changes, click the "Save" button at the bottom of the page.
Communication settings can be adjusted by logging into the Communication Preferences section in My NAFSA in your NAFSA account. You can choose to consent to allowing us to send NAFSA Member-only electronic and print communications and NAFSA-specific newsletters, surveys, offers, and other promotional materials to you. After you've made changes, click the "Save" button at the bottom of the page.