In lieu of a 2020 in-person conference, Region VI is pleased to announce that we will be hosting a series of virtual offerings throughout on November 9, 10, and 12! We look forward to connecting as a region at our 2020 virtual event!
November 9, 2020
November 10, 2020
November 12, 2020
In lieu of a 2020 in-person conference, Region VI is pleased to announce that we will be hosting a series of virtual offerings on November 9, 10, and 12!
Registration for the Region VI Virtual Regional event is now closed.
If you have registered for this event, you will receive all session passcodes via email message to the email address you provided when you registered.
Save the Date
Save the date to connect with Region VI at our upcoming Virtual Regional Conference on November 9, 10, and 12. While we are not able to join together in-person this year, we look forward reconnecting digitally and sharing resources as a region. In the coming weeks, we'll share detailed session information. Check out our schedule at a glance below.
We look forward to connecting as a region at our 2020 virtual event!
Monday, November 9
- 1:00 pm EST - Plenary and Region VI Update
- Plenary Speaker: John Dizgun, PhD
- Bio: Originally from Montréal, John Dizgun earned his PhD in Latin American History and Global & Comparative Studies from Rutgers University. He is Executive Director of KIIS, a non-profit faculty-led study abroad consortium of twenty-five colleges and universities, and Scholar-in-Residence at Western Kentucky University. He is an avid traveler and hockey fan.
Tuesday, November 10
- 1:00 pm EST - Building Your Professional Network and Developing Competencies in International Education
- Description: Explore resources and create a learning plan outline for professional growth. Through self-assessment and group discussions, participants will develop networking skills and competencies in international education. Presenters from distinct institutions and roles share the impact of NAFSA Academy participants as one tool in career advancement.
- Mackenzie Bowen - The College of Wooster
- Ashley DeMichael - Indiana Wesleyan University
- Olivia Ellis - University of Kentucky
- Caitlin Johnson - University of Kentucky
- Peter Maribei - Miami University
- Jung Shin - University of Akron
- Amanda Yusko - Ohio State University
- 3:00 pm EST - Come Together… to Host a Virtual Fair
- Description: 2020. What a year. COVID-19. Evacuations. Quarantines. Remote working. Online courses. Then we had to figure out how to host an education abroad fair! Eastern Kentucky University, Murray State University, Northern Kentucky University, University of Kentucky and Western Kentucky University decided to join forces to host a virtual education abroad fair during the fall 2020 semester. And not to be braggadocios, but we think it was pretty successful and we are excited to be able to share how we worked together to develop the fair. We’ll also discuss what we learned from this collaboration and provide you with steps to take if you want to host your own virtual (collaborative) education abroad fair.
- Katie Samuel - Eastern Kentucky University
- Steven Guns - Murray State University
- Michelle Melish - Northern Kentucky University
- Niamh Minion - University of Kentucky
- Diana Howard - Western Kentucky University
- Chelsea Woolums - University of Kentucky
Thursday, November 12
- 1:00 pm EST - What Do We Do Now?: Risk Assessment and Management Approaches in the Era of COVID-19 and Beyond
- Description: While risk assessment/management was already an important topic in Education Abroad, the era of COVID-19 has brought even more attention to the need for effective strategies to ensure student health, safety and well-being. This session will feature panelists from different institutions. They will talk about their pre-COVID processes, and the impact the pandemic has had on them and how it may influence their approach to risk assessment and management in the future.
- Jason Hope - University of Kentucky
- Ryan Meyer - University of Cincinnati
- Elizabeth Angerman - Ohio State University
- 3:00 pm EST - ISSS Region VI Virtual Roundtable Discussion
- Description: Join Region VI KCISSS Representative Deanna Laubis, Scholar RegBud Toni Dye, and Student RegBud Josh Whitson in a virtual roundtable session to review and discuss NAFSA's pre-recorded agency sessions. Please watch the pre-recorded sessions prior to the roundtable.
- Deanna Laubis - Kent State University
- Toni Dye - Western Kentucky University
- Josh Whitson - Oberlin College and Conservatory
- 4:00 pm EST- Awards and Closing Ceremony
Region VI Awards
Nominate a colleague for one Region VI’s professional achievement awards. Region VI is committed to identifying outstanding professionals in international education. Help us recognize outstanding professionals by nominating someone for one of the following awards today.
- Leo Dowling Award of Excellence
- The George Hertrich Advocacy Award
- Dorothy Brickman Award for Outstanding New Professional
- Region VI Champion of Diversity and Inclusion in International Education
Future Conference Sites
- 2021: November 6-10, Cincinnati, OH