NAFSA's eleven regions welcome you to join us at the NAFSA All-Region Summit, a special virtual conference held October 4 - 22, 2021. Participants gain access to live and on-demand region-specific content, as well as shared activities and events. This first-ever combined regional event will provide participants with new learning, networking, and engagement opportunities.
Region I Programs, Grants & Awards
Region I Mentor Program
We would like to invite people of all experience levels and participants from all fields of international education to join the Region I Mentor Program. Participants will meet periodically throughout the year and attend three virtual all-group gatherings throughout the program (launch, mid-point, and end-of-program celebration). Scheduling and time commitments are flexible between mentors and mentees.
NAFSA Region I supports colleagues who wish to advance their professional development. The region offers a variety of grants throughout the year for various conferences. Region I grants are limited to one grant per year for approved applicants. Examples of grants we award are:
- Advocacy Day
- NAFSA Annual Conference
- Trainer Corps
- NAFSA Region 1 Conference
2022 grants are now open! We ask that you submit your application at least one month before your scheduled event. Award amounts vary based on the total number of applicants we get for each event and are awarded based on the criteria below. Grants for the Regional conference in Spokane Washington October 2022 are due October 1st, 2022.
Criteria for grants are:
- Submit a complete application
- Must reside in Region I and be currently working, studying, or volunteering in international education
- Participation in training or other activities that will prepare you to contribute to Region I
- If accepted, agree to the grant expectations and sign the confirmation form.
For questions, please email [email protected]
Please contact us with questions.
- Reimbursement requests should be submitted no later than 10 days after the event ending.
- The following will be covered based on the amount of grant you receive:
- Airfare, train tickets, hotel and rental car expenses should be accompanied by the detailed receipt showing a balance of zero or paid in full.
- Mileage will be reimbursed at the rate of .565/mile. Please include a copy of the map showing the mileage.
- Meals are reimbursed at the federal per diem rate for the city where the event took place. Receipts are not required for the per diem rates, but please include it on the reimbursement form. Meals included in the event program will not be reimbursed. Please include a schedule of events showing the meals provided with your reimbursement form.
- Reimbursement requests must be submitted by email.
Region I Awards
Rising Star Award
This award recognizes someone who has practiced in the field of International Education for fewer than five years and who shows great potential. The regional nominee is then nominated for the National Rising Star award.
Outstanding Service Award
This award recognizes someone who has shown significant contributions to NAFSA, either at the regional level, national, or both.
Nominations will be accepted through August 17, 2021.