Position: CEP Workshop Lead Trainer
Term Dates: Open throughout the year
A CEP Workshop Lead Trainer is a current Trainer Corps member who manages and oversees the planning, preparing, delivery, and feedback of a NAFSA CEP Workshop offering at a pre-determined time/event to a group of registered participants. The lead trainer leads the collaborative efforts of the training team and empowers the team to integrate their unique set of experiences, stories, and skills throughout the training in order to engage participants in the learning process.
A CEP Workshop Lead Trainer is chosen based on previous training experiences and on content expertise as it relates to a given CEP Workshop. While all trainers on a CEP Workshop training team play a critical role in the overall experience, the Lead Trainer must curate meaningful and intentional interactions and engagement among and between the trainers and the participants to ensure a highly valuable and professional learning experience for all.
As a CEP Workshop Lead Trainer you will
- Enhance your training delivery skills
- Enhance your leadership skills
- Work with other Trainer Corps members to (co-)deliver an interactive, professional development workshop for adult learners
- Represent NAFSA’s Trainer Corps and Core Education Program
Position updated December 2019
Applications are not currently being accepted.
- For NAFSA Annual and Regional Conference Lead Trainers, virtual participation in Lead Trainer Preparation Program is required
- Recruit, onboard, and manage a training team, considering current Trainer Corps members first
- Commit to Training NAFSA Style, which includes dedicated time for planning and preparing for the training (individually and together with your team), delivering the NAFSA CEP Workshop and being fully present all throughout the workshop, and facilitating the debrief/feedback session with your co-trainer(s)
- Coordinate all team meetings during the planning and preparation phases
- Conduct an in-depth review of the CEP Workshop materials for your entire workshop and take an even deeper dive into the section(s) of the materials for which you are responsible
- Manage the overall training plan for your workshop delivery, while taking the lead on transition points within the plan
- Communicate with the CEP Workshop Dean for your workshop during the planning, preparation, and feedback phases of the process
- Communicate often and openly with your co-trainer(s) to ensure all tasks are being accomplished, that the team is unified, and that the highest level of professionalism is demonstrated
All NAFSA leaders are expected to foster an inclusive environment and seek to learn and understand the multicultural perspectives of the committee/team, our constituents, and stakeholders to align with the NAFSA Diversity and Inclusion Statement. An expression of leadership in this area includes:
- Engaging the committee/team to identify and implement strategies for increased personal outreach, recruitment, and onboarding for all, especially diversity-focused and underrepresented groups
- Increasing accessibility and participation from underrepresented groups, individuals, and institutions
- Expanding educational content within the committees’ purview through intentional outreach and recruitment of diverse presenters and institutional types in partnership with various NAFSA groups
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is a professional association driven by its Strategic Plan as established by the Board of Directors. The success of the association depends on the productive engagement of three key constituencies: the Board, member-leaders, and staff. Member-leaders are advocates for the association’s mission, vision, values, diversity and inclusion, and ethical principles. They align their work closely with the Board through its vice presidents and with staff to carry out the Strategic Plan. Member-leader roles are guided by objectives assigned by the Strategic Plan, by outcome accountabilities outlined in the Standing Rules, and by position descriptions for specific roles.
Varies, but includes weeks/months of planning and preparing prior to workshop delivery. A post-delivery debrief/feedback session is generally part of the involvement and the time.
CEP Workshop Lead Trainers are selected and appointed by Trainer Corps leadership and/or NAFSA Regional leaders according to each Trainer Corps member’s training profile and experience. Each Trainer Corps member self-reports the workshops they have content expertise to train, which is verified by the Application Review Team and/or Trainer Corps chair/-designate
Reach out to NAFSA’s Professional Learning Services to learn more
- NAFSA Annual Conference CEP Workshop Trainers are needed from approximately October/November—June
- NAFSA Regional Conference CEP Workshop Trainers are needed from approximately August—November
On-Site CEP Workshop Trainers are needed at various times and locations all throughout the year