NAFSA advocates for creating a comprehensive visa and immigration process that reflects our values as a welcoming and inclusive nation, helps to attract the world’s brightest students, meets the needs for progress and competitiveness, and recognizes our global interconnectivity.
International students, scholars, and their families are assets to academic and scientific innovation, public diplomacy, economic vitality, national security, and global leadership. By making it difficult for international students and scholars to enter the country, travel while here, and engage in experiential learning or collaborate on cutting-edge research, we cripple our ability to compete for global talent, risk harming our national and economic security, and deprive U.S. students and institutions of the diverse and enriching contributions international students and scholars bring to our campuses.
NAFSA recommendations span both the executive and legislative branches of federal government, requesting executive and agency-level implementation or congressional action
- Issue Brief: Welcoming International Students and Scholars
- Recommendations for the Biden-Harris Administration
- Send a message to your members of Congress that visa processing improvements, creating a direct path to a green card for international graduates of U.S. institutions, and expanding dual intent to include F-1 visa applications are essential to attracting global talent to the U.S.
- Sign up for our Connecting Our World policy and advocacy newsletter to stay abreast of our campaigns to advance these policies and how you can help. It is delivered once-a-week and the asks of you are always quick but impactful. Add your voice to the call for a more peaceful, globally connected world!
International Students Data And Trends
- Losing Talent: An Economic and Foreign Policy Risk America Can't Ignore
- A Visa and Immigration Policy for the Brain-Circulation Era: Adjusting to What Happened in the World While We Were Making Other Plans
- Restoring U.S. Competitiveness for International Students and Scholars
- In America's Interest: Welcoming International Students