As the field of education abroad continues to advance, the demands placed on advisers grow. Learn the skills you need to be effective in today’s dynamic education abroad setting. Explore the different roles required of an adviser to be successful. Discuss the advising profession with others in the field while interacting with each other and the workshop content in a multi-faceted way. Grow as a professional by gaining a comprehensive view of your role within the larger educational context.
- Adapt your advising strategy to meet the programmatic needs of your education abroad students through all stages of their programs.
- Gain advising strategies to improve your skills in six advising roles: manager, guide, responder, educator, advocate, and promoter.
- Work efficiently, effectively, and collaboratively to support education abroad student needs within your institution and the program destination.
- Overview of roles an adviser takes on
- Generating enthusiasm for education abroad opportunities
- Supporting students’ decisions
- Bringing students and stakeholders together
- Preparing students for the processes and adjustments
- Deciding how and when to react in the interest of the student
- Understanding and balancing institutional and individual priorities
What Participants Are Saying
- "The workshop will be extremely useful as I recharge my advising and outreach efforts for the upcoming academic year." - Annual Conference workshop participant
- "I have gained some new skills, perspectives and tons of resources." - Regional Conference workshop participant
- "Small group work within the workshop was stimulating and helped build connections." -Regional Conference workshop participant
This workshop is an introductory workshop for education abroad advisers, study abroad providers, or others, who have been in the field for fewer than three years.