NAFSA believes diversity enriches individuals, organizations, and society. Toward this end, the NAFSA Diversity Impact Program supports professionals from underrepresented institutions by helping them expand capacity, grow study abroad, and increase student global competencies. The goal is to build diversity within international education, both in the development of professionals and by assisting these institutions in their efforts promoting internationalization on their campuses.
The NAFSA Diversity Impact Program provides international education professionals from tribal colleges and universities; historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs); Hispanic-serving institutions (HSIs); and community colleges and associates colleges, complimentary NAFSA membership, registration to the NAFSA Annual Conference & Expo, and yearlong mentoring and professional development opportunities.
The NAFSA Diversity Impact Program recipients enjoy programming and networking opportunities to help them connect and engage with their peers and potential partners, along with regional and national leaders in international education.
In 2019, NAFSA will assess the outcomes and achievements of the program. This evaluation will inform the design of the next phase of the program.
As a result of participation in this program, participants:
- Establish relationships with fellow participants, mentors, and other NAFSA members and utilize this network to further international education on their campuses
- Gain tools to build capacity, grow study abroad, and increase student global competencies on their campuses by attending related sessions at the Annual Conference, working with mentor and participating in e-learning
The Diversity Impact Program has partnered in the growth of many diverse institutions. Review the program’s impact:
- Diversity Impact Program participant reflections
- Bennett College Expands Its Foreign Languages Program
- Ebony Majeed shares her experience
- Participants find inspiration and opportunities