The NAFSA 2020 Senator Paul Simon Award for Campus Internationalization nomination process will be open August 12, 2020 - October 30, 2020.
Eligibility & Application Process
Institutions eligible for consideration for a Simon Award must be accredited, degree-granting higher education institutions of the United States or its territories.
- An institution awarded a Simon Spotlight Award is eligible to apply for a Simon Award for Comprehensive Internationalization the following year.
- An institution awarded a Simon Spotlight Award is eligible to apply for a Spotlight Award in a different focus area after five years.
- An institution awarded a Simon Award for Comprehensive Internationalization is eligible to apply for a Simon Award, whether Comprehensive or Spotlight, after 10 years.
- An institution cannot be considered for any Simon Award if it is affiliated with a member of the Simon Selection Committee.
Institutions selected to receive a Simon Award will reflect, as much as possible, a variety of institutional types within the Carnegie Classifications, as well as diversity in terms of institutional size, geographic location, and public or private governance.
- A cover letter on institutional letterhead.
- An essay addressing criteria as described below (Areas of Special Importance for Your Essay). If you are applying for both awards, two separate essays must be submitted. Additional appendixes, images, graphs, and charts will not be considered as part of your nomination.
- A 2,500 word essay that addresses the criteria as described below is required for applications for the Comprehensive Award.
- A 1,800 word essay is required for those applying for the Spotlight Award.
- A demographics form. This is a required form. Please fill in all sections to the best of your abilities. Do not leave sections blank.
- Comprehensive Applications: The cover letter and ten (10) double-sided copies of the essay should be mailed to NAFSA, 1307 New York Avenue, NW, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20005. Applications must be received by NAFSA no later than 5:00 p.m. EST, Friday, October 30, 2020. In addition, upload a Word file and a pdf of the cover letter, essay, and demographics form.. Send no background material. Institutions selected in the first round of screening will be asked to provide further information on a case-by-case basis.
- Spotlight Applications: Upload a Word file and a pdf of the cover letter, essay, and demographics form. Applications must be received by NAFSA no later than 5:00 p.m. EST, Friday, October 30, 2020.