On August 5, 2019, the Department of State (DOS) issued Guidance Directive 2019-03 - College and University Student Category: Screening and Monitoring.
The guidance stems from DOS's review of the J-1 exchange visitor College and University Student category, and to "remind sponsors of, and clarify, certain regulatory requirements in order to assist sponsors with the administration of exchange programs in the College and University Student category." The guidance reviews requirements in nine areas:
- Selection of Exchange Visitors and English Language Proficiency.
- Academic Training and Evaluation
- Student Intern Screening and Selection
- Student Internship Form DS-7002 (Training/Internship Placement Plan)
- Hospitality and Tourism Placements and Student Internship Form DS-7002
- Host Organizations, Third Parties and Written Agreements
- Host Organizations, Training and Awareness of Exchange Visitor Program Objectives
- Updating SEVIS Records
- Reminder of Other Relevant Guidance Directives