Committee: Teaching, Learning and Scholarship (TLS) Knowledge Community
Position: Network Leader
Term Dates: Two-year term. Renewable for one term.
The Teaching, Learning, and Scholarship Knowledge Community (TLS KC) focuses on curriculum internationalization, research that informs practice, and intercultural communication and serves faculty, administrators, graduate students/post-docs, researchers, intercultural trainers, cross-cultural counselors, and other professionals in international education.
The Research and Scholarship (R&S) online network of the TLS KC serves and connects professionals and academics interested in research and research trends in international education, including graduate-level opportunities.
The R&S network leader is a member of the TLS KC leadership team and chairs the R&S subcommittee. This position provides oversight and coordination of the R&S network and looks for opportunities to create added value for the TLS KC through a vibrant discussion forum, creation and identification of high quality and timely resources, and effective communication to the community of R&S network subscribers. The TLS KC is currently conducting a survey of its networks. The R&S network leader will have responsibility for implementing possible changes to the network in consultation with the rest of the TLS KC leadership team in response to survey results.
Position updated June 2018
NAFSA is not currently accepting applications for this position.
- Participate as an active TLS KC leadership team member.
- Coordinate the content of the R&S network, including:
- Coordinate the review and revision of resources
- Identify and develop new high-quality and timely resources
- Contact the staff partner with suggestions to improve the user experience on the R&S network
- Collaborate with other network leaders on cross-network resources and discussions
- Monitor and manage the discussion forum on the R&S network, including:
- Seed discussion and exchange on the discussion forum, as appropriate
- Identify questions and topics to recommend to the TLS KC leadership team for consideration for further development into resources
- Respond promptly to issues and requests from subscribers and notify the staff partner of technical issues as they arise
- Create an R&S team (R&S Subcommittee), as needed, to assist in the monitoring and management of R&S network and development of TLS KC projects.
- Promote the R&S network and its resources broadly to international education professionals with related interests
- Communicate regularly with the TLS KC leadership team about activity and opportunities in the R&S network, and ways to facilitate the dissemination of R&S resources.
- Work closely with the TLS KC staff partner to maintain the R&S network and coordinate the development of relevant TLS KC materials.
All NAFSA leaders are expected to foster an inclusive environment and seek to learn and understand the multicultural perspectives of the committee/team, our constituents, and stakeholders to align with the NAFSA Diversity and Inclusion Statement. An expression of leadership in this area includes:
- Engaging the committee/team to identify and implement strategies for increased personal outreach, recruitment, and onboarding for all, especially diversity-focused and underrepresented groups
- Increasing accessibility and participation from underrepresented groups, individuals, and institutions
- Expanding educational content within the committees’ purview through intentional outreach and recruitment of diverse presenters and institutional types in partnership with various NAFSA groups
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is a professional association driven by its Strategic Plan as established by the Board of Directors. The success of the association depends on the productive engagement of three key constituencies: the Board, member-leaders, and staff. Member-leaders are advocates for the association’s mission, vision, values, diversity and inclusion, and ethical principles. They align their work closely with the Board through its vice presidents and with staff to carry out the Strategic Plan. Member-leader roles are guided by objectives assigned by the Strategic Plan, by outcome accountabilities outlined in the Standing Rules, and by position descriptions for specific roles.
- This position collaborates closely with other NAFSA leaders to enhance work efforts across the association.
- This position partners closely with the NAFSA staff partner assigned. Effective relationships reflect and include responsiveness to phone calls/e-mail correspondence, timely delivery on responsibilities, open communication and mutual respect among other characteristics.
- Two-year commitment, renewable once.
- 5-10 hours per month, depending on the volume of activity on the R&S network.
- Participation in conference calls and email communication with the TLS KC leadership team and staff.
- Participation in the Washington Leadership Meetings (WLMs) in February 2019 and January 2020 (funding for WLM is provided by NAFSA).
- Preparation for and attendance at pre-conference meetings at the NAFSA annual conference in late May 2019 and 2020.
- Experience in international education, particularly in such areas as applied research and scholarship, assessment and evaluation.
- Ability to identify resources relevant to the community of the R&S network subscribers.
- Willingness to adopt organization-wide perspectives and TLS KC strategic priorities
- Willingness to adopt association priorities and perspectives on volunteer development and management
- High strategic planning, management, networking, and delegation experience
- Strong coordination, analytical, oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with a team and with NAFSA staff in an outcomes-based environment
- Commitment to access and respond to e-mail in a timely fashion as well as communicate using online electronic tools/systems plus the online workspace structure
- Willingness and ability to travel for participation and representation at NAFSA meetings
- Manage unconscious bias in the assessment and decision-making process
- Recognized by peers for being energetic, innovative, and visionary
- Valid NAFSA membership through the length of the leadership term
- Ability to meet the volunteer commitment outlined and planning calendar deadlines
- Experience monitoring or participating in Web-based forums.
- Knowledge of professional networks in the field of international education.
- Ability and willingness to innovate.