This information is designed to assist education abroad advisers as they guide their students to obtain a student visa to study abroad. While members of NAFSA's Consular Affairs Liaison (CAL) Subcommittee review these pages regularly for accuracy, a consulate may change its procedures without notice. Students and advisers should confirm specific procedures with each relevant consulate.

EA Visa Help

NAFSA members can submit a request via EA Visa Help for help with U.S. student visa issues for education abroad programs.

Request Visa Help


Soon, visa-exempt travelers from over 60 countries traveling to or through Schengen area countries will need ETIAS travel authorization.

Learn More

The latest requirements for acquisition of student visas for study abroad outside the United States.

Applying for a Student Visa
Processing Time
Changing Visas While Abroad
Problems with Visa Applications
Template Letters for Student Visas
Obtaining a Second Passport
Advising international students on Education Abroad

Student Visas: What U.S Students Need to Know

Student Visas walks U.S. students through the entire visa application process. It provides updated tips and information to help students plan out their application timeline, get the right documents in order, and work with the consulate.

Visa Advising for Education Abroad

In this 45 minute e-learning course, education abroad professionals learn common practices and strategies for visa advising for education abroad programs, triaging and handling unusual situations that arise, and resources to further one’s knowledge or to assist students.