The Research Symposium is considered relevant for international education researchers at every stage of their career – graduate students, post-docs, faculty members, and practitioners.
NAFSA invites attendees to share and learn from original international education research presented at the Research Symposium, with an active open discussion focused on how research can connect with practice.
Research Symposium Resources
Volume 1 covers a range of topics, including practitioner identities, the role of heritage-seeking for minority students, internationalization assessment, and intercultural growth in short-term study abroad.
Volume 2 covers a range of topics including study abroad promotional tactics, home country crises, English language and the impact of globalization, sociocultural Challenges of Fulbright Scholars, and learning through fee-free U.S.-to-China high school study abroad.
Volume 3 covers a range of topics including standards for measuring higher education internationalization, the impact of reentry for U.S. students of color, undergraduate enrollment and net tuition revenue, diversifying global education through cocurricular global experiences, and more.
Volume 4 has 12 articles that broadly examine the benefits of international exchange, professional equality, internationalization efforts, developing global citizens, and supporting and challenging both international and domestic students to expand global awareness and adapt to changing circumstances.
Volume 5 has 10 articles that focus on topics including: sustainability in education abroad, advising through uncertainty, intercultural development, and internationalization in different contexts.
If you have any questions about submitting a proposal, becoming a peer reviewer, or about the event details, please contact us.
NAFSA would like to thank the following individuals for their work as Peer Reviewers for the NAFSA Research Symposium:
- Eylem Atakav, PhD, University of East Anglia
- Susan Barone, PhD, Vanderbilt University
- Matthew Beatty, EdD, Concordia College
- Leslie Bozeman, PhD, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis
- Tara Braun, Calvin College
- Sam Brown, Brigham Young University
- Robert Cole, PhD, Roger Williams University
- Jennifer Creamer, PhD, Robert Morris University
- Sandra Crenshaw, PhD, Arcadia University
- Shasha Cui, University of Rochester
- Anne D'Angelo, PhD, University of Minnesota
- Nia DeYounge, Bentley University
- David Di Maria, EdD, University of Maryland Baltimore County
- Emily Dougherty, University of North Dakota
- Angie Edwards, Queens University of Charlotte
- Kristin Evans, UW Continuum College
- Heidi Fischer, Old Dominion University
- Stacye Fraser Thompson, Jefferson State Community College
- Zachary Frieders, University of California - Davis
- Sora Friedman, PhD, SIT Graduate Institute
- Karen Gardenier, Colorado State University
- Emily Gorlewski, EdD, Wesleyan University
- Vesna Hart, PsyD, James Madison University
- Tara Harvey, PhD, True North Intercultural
- Meredith Henderson, Go Global NC
- Kari Henquinet, PhD, Michigan Technological University
- Cindy Xinquan Jiang, PhD, The Ohio State University
- Taylor Kinde, University of Central Missouri
- Makeda King-Smith, The Cooper Union
- Janine Knight-Grofe, Durham College
- Eric Kroetsch, University of Minnesota
- Heather MacCleoud, PhD, NAFSA
- Bryan McAllister-Grande, EdD, Northeastern University
- Karen McBride, EdD, University of Dayton
- Rachael McBride, Drexel University
- Kate Moore, EdD, Academic Internship Council
- Lauren Nehlsen, Elgin Community College
- Elizabeth Niehaus, PhD, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Susan Pasquarelli, EdD, Roger Williams University
- Katherine Punteney, EdD, Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey
- Jenifer Ruby, Rollins College
- Joe Stanley, PhD, Providence College
- Carol Swett, ELS Language Center
- Blanca Torres-Olave, PhD, Loyola University Chicago
- Andrew Turgeon, Green River College
- Lisa Unangst, Boston College
- Melissa Whatley, North Carolina State University
- Christina Yao, PhD, University of South Carolina
- Jiangyuan Zhou, EdD, Stockton University