Committee: International Education Leadership Knowledge Community (IEL KC)
Position: Network Leader, Leading Internationalization Network
Term Dates: Two-year term, renewable for one term (maximum of 4 years)
The International Education Leadership Knowledge Community (IEL KC) supports and addresses the needs of new and experienced senior international officers (SIOs) and other internationalization leaders who provide the vision and build commitment for comprehensive internationalization.
This position provides oversight and coordination of the Leading Internationalization Network (LIZN), the IEL KC’s professional network and primary vehicle for disseminating knowledge and information relevant to internationalization (IZN) leaders. The portfolio includes ongoing development and management of LIZN’s online resources and discussion forum. To that end, the Network Leader draws on professional experience in and knowledge of the international education field to proactively seek opportunities to create and add value for LIZN through valuable discussion forum, identification of highquality and timely resources, and effective communication to network subscribers.
Position updated August 2017
Applications are not currently being accepted.
- Coordinate LIZN content in collaboration with the NAFSA staff partner and the IEL KC team, including o Coordinate the identification and/or creation, review, and revision of resources.
- Actively participate in identifying and developing high-quality and timely resources.
- Monitor discussion forum activity and ensure timely responses to subscriber questions and postings as warranted.
- Refer issues and requests that require an IEL KC team decision and/or action (e.g., unanswered posts, subscriber needs, and trends regarding, training information, resources, etc.).
- Notify staff partner of technical issues as they arise.
- Create a network team, as needed, to assist in the monitoring and management of LIZN resources and the discussion forum.
- Ensure that a broad range of relevant, timely resources are available on LIZN that serves multiple communities, including US and international subscribers, and a diversity of institutional type.
- Represent the IEL KC team at the NAFSA Annual Conference & Expo by facilitating events such as Networking Center meetings and by participating in the IEL KC Update Meeting.
- Encourage new IZN leaders to get involved with the IEL KC.
- Work on other IEL KC team projects as needed.
All NAFSA leaders are expected to foster an inclusive environment and seek to learn and understand the multicultural perspectives of the committee/team, our constituents, and stakeholders to align with the NAFSA Diversity and Inclusion Statement. An expression of leadership in this area includes:
- Engaging the committee/team to identify and implement strategies for increased personal outreach, recruitment, and onboarding for all, especially diversity-focused and underrepresented groups
- Increasing accessibility and participation from underrepresented groups, individuals, and institutions
- Expanding educational content within the committees’ purview through intentional outreach and recruitment of diverse presenters and institutional types in partnership with various NAFSA groups
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is a professional association driven by its Strategic Plan as established by the Board of Directors. The success of the association depends on the productive engagement of three key constituencies: the Board, member-leaders, and staff. Member-leaders are advocates for the association’s mission, vision, values, diversity and inclusion, and ethical principles. They align their work closely with the Board through its vice presidents and with staff to carry out the Strategic Plan. Member-leader roles are guided by objectives assigned by the Strategic Plan, by outcome accountabilities outlined in the Standing Rules, and by position descriptions for specific roles.
- This position will communicate regularly with the IEL KC team about activities and opportunities in the network and may also work with subcommittee members to facilitate the dissemination of resources.
- This position works closely with the NAFSA staff partner to maintain the network. NAFSA partner holds primary responsibility for the following:
- Moderate subscriber postings for compliance with the Network.NAFSA Code of Conduct.
- Discuss with Network Leader any information that may apply to the network.
- Update the What’s New section with timely information relevant to network subscribers.
- Liaise with NAFSA Web Support staff on all technical aspects of the network.
- 5-10 hours per month, depending on volume of activity on the network.
- Active subscription to LIZN with preference set to receive real time notification of messages posted to the network.
- Participation in conference calls and e-mail communication with IEL KC leadership and staff.
- Preparation for and attendance at the Washington Leadership Meeting (WLM) in late January (travel and per diem provided by NAFSA).
- Preparation for and attendance at the NAFSA Annual Conference & Expo in late May (at own expense).
- Current NAFSA membership throughout length of volunteer service.
- Minimum of five years of experience in international education.
- Experience using web-based communication (technical knowledge is not required).
- Active interest in assisting colleagues with professional and leadership development.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to make two-year commitment.
- Experience monitoring or participating in a web-based forum.
- Interest in identifying resources for Senior International Officers.